Objective: Students will create an invention with the GrovePi Kit (and the Raspberry Pi). After learning how to control the electronic devices and sensors in the kit with Scratch coding, you can apply your knowledge to build many smart devices and control all kinds of things.
Grades: 6 to 9 (classes, maker spaces, or clubs).
Time: Fits a school term or semester. The 19 lessons are 1 to 4 hours each and include optional activities and additional exercises. So approx. 20 to 40 hrs are needed to complete the lessons. An open ended design and invent project is included, and exercises can extend the time up to 80 hrs. Tips are also provided for teachers on how to use the lessons in shorter class sessions, clubs, or maker spaces.
Level: Beginner. No prior programming or engineering experience is required. Students with prior Maker or coding experience will still be challenged and engaged.
How Does It Work? This is a video-based, hands-on, self-paced invention or engineering course. It introduces the Internet of Things, Inventing, Engineering Design, and using the Raspberry Pi, the electronic devices in the GrovePi kit, and Scratch programming.
Students create two projects – one an independent Scratch program and the other an invention using the GrovePi Kit. Some suggestions for projects include a weather station, security alarm, pet monitor, and a game device. Also students can create devices to collect data for science experiments such as measuring how temperature and humidity affect plant growth, or how light levels affects plant growth.
The GrovePi kit requires no soldering and has plug-in ports for the devices which make it easy for students to design with it (and to reuse the kits over and over again). The Scratch programming is a graphic drag and drop environment which is easy to use, but robust enough to include complex programming.
This online curriculum includes lessons with videos, projects, step by step instructions, hands-on activities and worksheets — applying CSTA, NGSS, ITEA, CTE, and CC Math, ELA standards. This is great curriculum for middle school or high school invention or coding courses.
Teachers: See the Standards Met with this Curriculum.
Objective: The students will
Each Lesson includes the following elements:
- Background information & resource links (some to share with students & some for teachers)
- Introductory questions & information to share with the students
- Step-by-step procedure for the project
- Student handouts, charts, worksheets
- Closure exercises
- Assessment questions
- The Lessons use Scratch, a beginner drag-and-drop programming language developed at MIT. It is perfect for beginners, and no prior experience is expected or required.
- For students with more advanced programming skills, there is room to expand upon the lessons provided to do more sophisticated activities with the sensors as well as data collection and analysis techniques. Students can also use Python, Java, C++ and Node.js to program the GrovePi, but this curriculum is designed to teach and incorporate Scratch.
This curriculum comes with a full printed instructors guide, online access to the curriculum (where you can download worksheets, watch videos, etc.), and you can add on teacher training as well ($350 for one skype session).
What else will I need that does not come with this curriculum?
For purchases of 5 or more robots, please see our GrovePi Classroom Kit.
- GrovePi Base Kit: GrovePi Board and 12 sensors & modules.
- Raspberry Pi (works with any version of the Raspberry Pi)
- Wifi Dongle
- microSD card (with Dexter Industries custom software – available for purchase pre-loaded with our software or else you can download and image the cards yourself)
- Ethernet Cable
- Power Wall Adapter
- Computers with internet access
- Optional: Materials for students to add to their invention with crafts or other recycled materials.