The Dexter Industries Thermal Infrared Sensor reads surface temperatures of objects. It is a non-contact thermometer based on the MLX90614. Detecting the infrared radiation from an object, the sensor can read object temperatures between -90°F and 700°F (-70°C and +380°C). The sensor has a high accuracy of 0.5°C and a resolution of 0.02°C.
The Thermal Infrared Sensor reads both the ambient temperature (the temperature of the air around the sensor) and the surface temperature of the object that the sensor is pointed towards.
The sensor can detect a flame at a range of 2 meters.
- Measures and detects temperatures from a distance.
- Reads object temperatures between -70C and 380C.
- High accuracy of 0.5C and resoultion 0.02C.
- Detects object surface temperature and ambient temperature.
- See what we’ve done with the Thermal Infrared Sensor here.
This sensor works with BrickPi3, NXT, and EV3Dev (not EV3-G).
Downloads and Tutorials
- NXT-G Blocks (.zip) Reads object and ambient temperature.
- Emissivity Block (.zip) This block allows the user to set the emissivity of the Thermal Infrared Sensor.
- NXT-G Education Block (.zip) These blocks are for the LEGO® MINDSTORMS® NXT NXT-G Education edition and enable datalogging with the Thermal Infrared Sensor.
- Labview for LEGO MINDSTORMS (LVLM) (zip) LVLM2010 VI’s for LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT