Objective: Students will learn how to program in Scratch to move their GoPiGo and to use the Line Follower.
Each Lesson includes the following elements:
- Background information & resource links (some to share with students & some for teachers)
- Introductory questions & information to share with the students
- Step-by-step procedure for the project
- Student handouts, charts
- Closure exercises
Time Requirement: 1 hour
- The Lesson uses Scratch, a beginner drag-and-drop programming language developed at MIT. It is perfect for beginners, and no prior experience is expected or required.
- For students with more advanced programming skills, there is room to expand upon the lesson provided to do more sophisticated activities with the sensors as well as data collection and analysis techniques. Students can also use Python, Java, C++ and Node.js to program the GoPiGo robot car, but this curriculum is designed to teach and incorporate Scratch.
Recommended Grades: Grades 3 and up
Main Audience: Workshop, Afterschool Program, Camps, Classrooms
This lesson comes in the form of a one-time downloadable PDF with a license for 1 classroom. If you are interested in using this lesson school-wide or district-wide, please contact us for that pricing at DexterEd (at) dexterindustries.com.
What else will I need that does not come with this curriculum?
For purchases of 5 or more robots, please see our GoPiGo Classroom Kit.
- GoPiGo Base Kit
- Raspberry Pi (works with any version of the Raspberry Pi)
- microSD Card (with Dexter Industries custom software – available for purchase pre-loaded with our software or else you can download and image the cards yourself) *If you are using this in a school setting and don’t want to have to deal with your IT department to get the GoPiGo robot on your school network, we have another option which is very easy called DexterOS.
- Ethernet Cable
- Power Wall Adapter
- Line Follower
- 8 AA batteries (not included, we recommend rechargeable) for each robot
- A computer with wifi & an internet connection and a web browser (Chrome preferred, but use Firefox if using touch-screen laptops)
- Black Electrical Tape
Check out the full hardware kit for the Treasure Hunters Lesson here.